What is CO2?
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is released predominantly by the burning of fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas in industries such as energy production, deforestation for logging and clearance for agriculture, factory industries and even in healthcare. CO2 is naturally absorbed by oceans as well as trees and rainforests (‘CO2 sinks’) well known to convert this harmful gas into safe, breathable oxygen.
What’s the problem?
Earth naturally retains some of the sun’s energy to keep the planet from freezing over into an ice age… the problem is, CO2 creates a warm blanket around the earth, and the atmosphere is now also trapping an increasing level of harmful gases, causing the average temperature to rise more rapidly. On top of this, humans are destroying ‘CO2 sinks’ that can convert this gas safely. The levels of CO2 are not only rising, the ways in which the planet can deal with this are being taken away.
What does this mean though?
Sea levels are rising as ice in the polar regions melts, and the changes to our climate are causing extreme weather swings – flooding, storms and uncontrollable fires. Wildlife is endangered as well as human life, with increase spread of disease and decreased food production.
What can we do to help?
- Walk, cycle or travel by public transport as much as you can to reduce the number of vehicles on the road.
- Plant trees – donate to a charity that restores rainforest coverage, or join a local tree planting mission. You could even use Ecosia or Solvos – search engines that plant trees and provide funds to global charities for every search made!
- Trade in some meat free meals for vegetarian or vegan options.
- Buy produce locally to avoid unnecessary packaging and transportation.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
- Save energy by turning off lights, plugs and electrical appliances, avoiding water wastage in kettles, showers and toilet flushing, and utilising your thermostat properly depending on the season.
- Calculate your own carbon footprint online and focus on your greatest areas for improvement!